There’s a new “selfie” on the block – the “shelfie”. Or, in layman’s terms, the art of having perfectly styled shelves.
Bookcases are no longer simply for holding one’s literary collection, but also for displaying your books alongside your most treasured objects.
Here are some tips for creating your very own shelf art:
- Play with book placement – Group your books in both vertical and horizontal arrangements within the same shelf.
- Arrange by colour and/or size – Keeping colours together can create a lovely ombre effect, while ordering by size creates a sense of ascending scale
- Mix in objects – Objects make a shelf more dynamic, breaking up the lines created by the books. Findsmall sculptures, patterned boxes, a bright-coloured bowl (the options are endless!) to add depth to your arrangement.
- Bring in nature – Adding a touch of greenery to your shelf is refreshing to the eye (try indoor plants of succulents). You could also try a small vase filled with seashells or some silk flowers.
- Add the artwork – Artwork is not just for walls. Prop smaller pieces on top of stacks of books or even hang larger pieces on the shelf itself. A favourite photograph in a beautiful frame is also a great addition.